Wednesday, May 11, 2011

In search of the ideal recording of Bach's St. Matthew Passion

Ever since performing the St. Matthew Passion in Berlin recently, I've become kind of obsessed with finding the perfect recording. Helmuth Rilling comes pretty close -- but Quasthoff (follow the link) to my ear sounds ein bisschen too self-confident in his expression of the text and the melody. "Mache dich mein Herze rein"? This should be sung with skill but also with humility, as my friend Simon Robinson did so beautifully in recent performances (Quastoff 0/Robinson 1). I just got John Eliot Gardiner's version which is damn near perfect only for someone with perfect pitch the half-step dip makes all my Affektenlehre verwirrt! If anyone has a favorite recording I wanna hear from you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjoGspzkYw8

No comments:

Post a Comment