Friday, January 6, 2012

New Year's Resolution 2012: "Baby Steps to Virtuosity"

Bill Murray once made a movie "Was ist mit Bob?" (in the German version) where he plays a multiphobic personality coached by his psychotherapist into taking "baby steps" to confront each small problem with the aim of overcoming bigger ones. For 2012 I decided to take baby steps on the violin to achieve if not virtuosity then a kind of fluency. For the first six days of January, I would take one Bach Solo Partita or Sonata and play it through at the end of my practice session.

Well, it's January 6, folks, and I did it! I'm humbled by the fact that I still don't know the C-major fugue from memory (nor have I achieved the perfect fingering for those killer parallel fifths, F/B-flat... is there one?) but I'm in awe of Bach's genius and the meditative perfection of these works.

Now I'm wondering if I can manage all 6 Ysaye Sonatas in the first six days of 2013... something to work towards? (Not to mention the first 24 days of 2014... hahaha).

Wishing all devoted violinists out there a happy year of productive practising and following to unimaginable lengths our craft, our art, our four-stringed hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment