Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Gloria Cheng & Calder Quartet @ LPR

I offered to turn pages for the Adès PIano Quintet. What was I thinking? All the stress of being on stage without the pleasure of performing! Gloria was amazing in her set of Boulez, Saariaho, Messiaen. The Calders played Stravinsky's 3 pieces to perfection. I couldn't tell you what the Adès PIano Quintet was like--I was too focussed on not fucking up the page turns to listen, let alone enjoy it. The composer seemed to be pleased.

2 comments:

  1. Calders are coming to Stockton in March. Looking forward to it.

    I remember turning pages on a Saturday morning SAM panel on Carlos Chavez after a very late night of drinks and tomfoolery. What I thought would be a lilting 12/8 turned out to be about dotted-quarter=300. I was sober when it was over... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go see the Calders! Don't let the hipster skinny ties put you off. They are really good.

    Note to publishers: don't make pianists play low bass notes near a page turn.

    ReplyDelete