Tuesday, January 4, 2011

NYSO @ Carnegie Dec 24 and 28

I couldn't help thinking of the New York String Orchestra as the SAT Orchestra -- perfect scores, no room for error. These young players can play their instruments without breaking a sweat, but I wish they would've taken some risks. Jennifer Koh and Benjamin Hochman were spotless soloists in the thankless Violin-Piano Concerto by Mendelssohn. Daniel Hope and Paul Watkins were not spotless in the Brahms Double -- but there were moments of risk-taking.

2 comments:

  1. I was impressed with Jennifer Koh when she came through Stockton a couple of years ago (she did the Brahms concerto). Very passionate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can picture that, Glenn. It's just this Mendelssohn didn't give her much of an opportunity to be passionate. I did notice an accuracy/adventure dichotomy in these 2 concerts, however.

    ReplyDelete